Thursday, January 14, 2016

UGH paying for college sucks

"Can't wait to be in debt for the rest of my life." -senior

I overheard this while in the cave study a few days ago. This is the quote that stuck with me this week because it's getting to that time where we're finding out what colleges we got into and which ones we didn't and now we have to start looking at the financial aspects of it. No one wants to be in debt for their whole lives, (I mean obviously no one wants debt) but that's really the reality of college these days.

Unless you have a ton of money, or get a full ride to a school, most colleges will leave us in debt. And that fact SUCKSSSS!!!!! Like if I don't go to college and just try to get a job right out of high school
1- the job probably won't be the best paying job (unless you get lucky)
2- no one really wants to hire you without some sort of college degree and
3- you're told your whole life you need to go to college or you won't make anything or yourself.

I could address how absolutely absurd these three facts are but then I'd stray too far from my main point. As seventeen and eighteen year olds we know that our best shot in the real world will only happen with the help of college, and so we go to college.

Now you can't just go to any college, most people want to go to schools that are well known, and that have a really good reputation. These schools (for the most part) are very expensive, and are also very competitive, so it's hard to get a full ride or a substantial amount of money.

I just want to live in a world where I can go to college and do what I want to do and not have to worry about never being able to pay off my debt. Is that really too much to ask for??

2 comments:

  1. It actually pisses me off that people in nearly every other country go to college for free because it doesn't make sense to them that someone would pay for their higher education when knowledge essentially is supposed to be free. America likes to blame it on being in debt but so are some other countries and don't take that money out of the pocket of the citizens. UGH, I'm especially not happy about what I might have to pay for college because NYU is around 70,000 dollars a year and I still have no idea what my financial aid might look like or what scholarships I might be getting. All I can really say is that at least it's my dreamschool so I'll probably be happy while in debt hopefulluy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its too much pressure and too much money. Like we are only 18 idk what i want to do with my life how are we expected to have perfect grades, make this huge decision AND have worked enough to have that unreal amount of money saved up to actually fund the school
    ridiculous and unfair

    ReplyDelete